Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

The Edge's Vegetable Gardens

This post is dedicated to my wife because it is about one of her greatest passions: Gardening. If you know an avid gardener, then you know that the moment the frost is gone until the harvest in the fall, they are constantly working on their garden(s). My wife and mother-in-law (who is visiting) are two of these people. I respect it and like to help out from time to time, but I, unfortunately, am not a full-boar card-carrying gardener...yet.

Of course, one of the main reasons we purchased this land was not to garden on a small scale, but was to eventually grow lots of organic produce. Our future plans include at least an acre of the good, organic produce, but this being Year One we are being responsible and staying small. Here are some pictures of our current endeavors.
The girls in our herb garden. 

This picture above shows are newly fenced-in herb garden.  In the garden my wife has planted mostly seed of the following: cilantro, dill, basil, lemon basil, chamomile tea, and green onion.  I always the say the more basil the better (lots of pesto for me!!!).  Sparingly she placed some heirloom tomatoes and bell peppers at the opposite end.  Our daughter, Ayla, is on the fence posts above.  She loves to help but tends to be more of a distraction :).

With our Cob House serving as the backdrop, here is our tomato garden.
We love tomatoes, especially my wife's gourmet salsa's (I think they're gourmet, at least).  Amy loves to try a variety of different tomato plants.  In this plot lie seven different tomato plants, one pepper (in the back) and in the barrel on the right we have two butternut squash plants growing.  Although I can't remember all the varieties, the one I am looking most forward too are the pineapple tomatoes.

Scarlet Runner Beans on the South side of the Garage
On the south side of our garage Amy planted Scarlet runner beans and a clever bamboo contraption to see that they climbed up and up.  I know very little about these beans.  My assumption is that they are red, and Amy tells me they are edible.  Despite lots of wind, these beans have thrived and grown over the past several weeks.  I am excited to see what they will do!

That is essentially our vegetable/herb gardens as of now.  We have 2.94 acres that are corn and next year the plan is to turn at least 1 acre into organic produce.  I look forward to hearing your thoughts about our gardens!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a good start, you guys! Is Ayla going to have a garden, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one step ahead of me. Today she and Ga (Amy's mom) planted some marigold and zinnia seeds in a bed in front of the house. Ayla picked up loads of seeds and plunked them in one spot. I have pictures. This will be in a future post :). PS. Aren't you up kind of late?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I can't wait to see Ayla's garden! My mom's neighbor boys always want to come over and help her in her garden...but really they want to eat her strawberries! Anyway, last summer, I guess one of them asked if he could plant some seeds and she said yes. She gave him some random seeds that were at the bottom of her seed box. He took them and flung them in the wind! She had weird stuff coming up all over her garden. :)

    ReplyDelete