Saturday, May 14, 2011

Move-in Day

April 29, 2011

We’re home. It sounds strange. How did this happen? For months we have been preparing for this move, and now that it is here there are a whirlwind of emotions. Leaving our old house was hard. It was our first home as a family, it was where we went home after we were married, it was where we brought our little girl home from the hospital, it was where we learned who we were. Upon leaving the Sumner house, I couldn’t get over the fact that I was leaving the place where I read books to my little girl. I will never forget those amazing memories and will cherish them forever.

It was also hard because unlike most people who sell their first homes and move to nice suburban cul-de-sacs, we are moving to the edge of Lancaster County. Our new house sits on a 5.61 acre plot and was built in 1903. It has great old bones which has allowed it to exist for over one hundred years, all by one family. It is an awe-inspiring thing to know that in a 108 year family history, a certain lineage just came to a crashing halt on one day.

Moving is always a crazy day and this one had some moments. First off, the wind gusts were over 35 mph, making it difficult to move anything from truck to house. I don’t know how we didn’t lose anything, at times it seemed like anything could blow away (including ourselves). We were lucky that Amy’s parents came up from Kansas to help watch our daughter and help with the various behind the scenes aspects of moving. If they hadn’t come up I don’t know how we would have made it through.

I personally had a difficult time. Selling the Sumner house was hard for me, as you can read above, but it didn’t really hit until around 2pm. The mover’s were scheduled to come out at 3pm and everyone else stayed in Lincoln to take care of this-n-that, which left me at the house completely isolated and alone. I went through about every emotion one could name and at one point I didn’t know if I could pull out of it. Luckily, by three everyone was here again. The presence of others, and the sight of my beautiful daughter pulled my spirits up and reminded me that we can do this. We’ll just need help, a lot of help.

The day ended with one truck completely unloaded and our second truck still full. We were nausea from the wind, were developing a nice sunburn and were exhausted. I was pleasantly surprised to see how light it is out here, there are dusk lights abound and plenty of “neighbors” shining lights into the night sky. Instead of falling asleep to my usual cars-rolling-by-on-asphalt or dogs-barking-all-over-the-neighborhood sounds, I slept peacefully to the sound of…nothing. ~Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment